Since Marriott’s takeover has been completed it’s even easier to transfer points to American Express because now Marriott Bonvoy is a direct transfer partner of American Express!!
Now you can skip all of the steps it used to take using SPG as a middleman and transfer your American Express Membership Rewards points at a 1:1 ratio directly to Marriott Bonvoy points!
Earn a 60,000 point sign up bonus with my referral link: American Express Platinum With 60,000 Point Bonus!
Did you know that you can transfer your American Express Points into Marriott Rewards points even though Marriott isn’t a transfer partner of American Express!
This is a great way to top off your account if you are short some Marriott points for a redemption. The transfer is possible through the Starwood Preferred Guest program. SPG was acquired by Marriott in 2016. While their programs are being run separately as of now, you can link your accounts to transfer points between the two programs. I expect these programs to be merged completely at some point, but probably not until next year.
Transfer American Express Membership Rewards Points To Marriott Rewards Points
First Transfer Your Amex Points To Starwood Points
- The first thing you need to do is link your Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest Accounts.
- Then log in to your American Express account and click on Menu in the upper left hand corner
- Click on Rewards > Membership Rewards > Use Points on the left hand side of your screen
- Then click on “Travel” in the upper left hand corner then click “Transfer Points”.
- If your SPG account isn’t already linked to your American Express Account, go ahead and link it by selecting the corresponding box and entering your information.
- Your linked accounts will appear at the top of the page. Click “Transfer Points” to initiate the transfer to Starwood Preferred Guest.
- The points should transfer over immediately
Next Transfer Your SPG Points To Marriott Rewards
- Log into your Starwood Preferred Guest account and click “Redeem Starpoints” from the drop down box under your name
- Click on “More Options”
- Then click the first section where it says “Transfer Starpoints to Marriott Rewards”
- This will bring up the form where you can choose how many points to transfer. The transfer should be instant.
A Few Reminders
You can transfer points back and forth between Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott, but you can not transfer any points into the American Express Membership Rewards program.
Keep in mind the transfer rate of your points. Amex to Starwood is 3:1 and Starwood to Marriott is 1:3. So, the transfer rate from American Express Points to Marriott Points will almost be 1:1. For example, 1,000 Amex Points will transfer to 333 Starwood Points which will transfer to 999 Marriott Points.
I hope this step by step guide helps you transfer American Express Membership Rewards Points into Marriott Rewards Points. Happy Travels!