Fall in Columbus is a beautiful time of year — the leaves on the trees are bright and colorful, the weather is cool and perfect for your favorite sweater, and there are tons of activities to keep you busy.
The first section of this post goes through the best fall activities in Columbus, or you can skip ahead for a list of all of the fall festivals in Columbus in 2022.
The Best Fall Activities in Columbus, Ohio
1. Immersive Monet Exhibit
This digital and interactive exhibit projects Monet’s artwork over floors, ceilings, and walls covering 500,000 cubic feet! This immersive art exhibit is a great experience for the whole family. Click here for tickets.
Location: 940 Polaris Pkwy, Columbus, Ohio
Dates: Now through September 25, 2022
2. Go Apple Picking
Apple picking is one of my favorite things to do in Columbus in the fall! As soon as I am in the orchard I feel like I’m ready for boots, sweaters, and pumpkins galore.
There are lots of places to pick apples in Columbus. Many locations also have other activities in addition to apple orchards so you can make a whole afternoon out of it.
Here are some great places for apple picking in Columbus:
- Lynd Fruit Farm in Pataskala
- The Orchard and Company in Plain City
- Cherry Hawk Farm in Marysville
- Branstool Orchards in Utica
3. Visit A Pumpkin Patch
You can’t get more fall than spending an afternoon at a pumpkin patch, and Central Ohio has no shortage of them. There is something amazing about a pumpkin patch in the midwest — the colorful leaves on the trees, drinking apple cider, and enjoying “sweater weather” — it’s all so festive!
Here are a few pumpkin patches to check out this fall in Columbus and surrounding areas:
- Circle S Farms in Grove City
- Leeds Farm in Ostrander
- Lehners Pumpkin Farm in Radnor
- Lynd Fruit Farm in Pataskala
- Pigeon Roost in Hebron
For a full list of things to do in Columbus at any time of the year, check out my ULTIMATE Guide to Columbus, Ohio!
4. Go On A Columbus Scavenger Hunt
Here’s a unique and fun activity to try out in Columbus — a scavenger hunt. Explore landmarks and hidden gems in downtown Columbus during this walking tour/scavenger hunt. This activity is suitable for up to 10 people in a group and lasts about 2 hours.
Starting point: 233 South Civic Center Drive, Columbus, Ohio 43215
Tickets: Order here
5. Nightlight 614 Movie Series
Enjoy a movie under the stars along with local food trucks, live music, craft beer, and wine. These events are 21+ only and tickets can be purchased here.
- September 1, 2022 – Crazy, Stupid, Love
- September 15, 2022 – Pulp Fiction
- September 22, 2022 – The Hangover
- October 6, 2022 – Inception
- October 14, 2022 – Scream
Location: Genoa Park, next to COSI
6. Visit A Columbus Metro Park
The fall season in Columbus comes with some gorgeous days — blue skies and crisp, autumn air. It’s a great time of year to visit one of the 19 metro parks in Columbus! This park system includes more than 230 miles of trails and over 27,700 acres of land across 7 counties.
In addition to activities like hiking and biking, you’ll find special events for the whole family. More information can be found here.
Columbus Metro Park Locations:
- Battelle Darby Creek – Galloway, Ohio
- Blacklick Woods and Blacklick Woods Golf Course – Reynoldsburg, Ohio
- Blendon Woods – Westerville, Ohio
- Chestnut Ridge – Carroll, Ohio
- Clear Creek – Rockbridge, Ohio
- Glacier Ridge – Plain City, Ohio
- Heritage Trail Park – Hilliard, Ohio
- Highbanks – Lewis Center, Ohio
- Homestead – Hilliard, Ohio
- Inniswood Metro Gardens – Westerville, Ohio
- Pickerington Ponds – Canal Winchester, Ohio
- Prarie Oaks – West Jefferson, Ohio
- Quarry Trails – Coming Soon!
- Rocky Fork – Westerville, Ohio
- Scioto Audubon – Columbus, Ohio
- Scioto Grove – Grove City, Ohio
- Sharon Woods – Westerville, Ohio
- Slate Run and Slate Run Historical Farm – Canal Winchester, Ohio
- Three Creeks – Groveport, Ohio
- Walnut Woods – Groveport, Ohio
Explore More: If you want to do some more hiking, take a quick drive to nearby Hocking Hills in Logan, Ohio. You’ll find some of the best hiking and scenery in the state! You can even stay overnight in a private cabin.
7. Do the Short North Gallery Hop
The Gallery Hop is a long-standing Columbus tradition that happens the first Saturday of each month on High St. in the Short North Arts District. You’ll find a mix of gallery exhibitions, street performers, special events, food, drinks, and more. Festivities run from 4-10 p.m.
Fall 2022 Dates:
- September 3, 2022
- October 1, 2022
- November 5, 2022
8. Visit The Haunted Woods at Shawnee Hills
The Haunted Woods at Shawnee Hills is an almost mile-long walk on a spooky trail through the forest. Admission is $15 per person or $20 per person for front-of-the-line VIP access. All proceeds benefit Adaptive Sports Connection.
Location: 6000 Harriott Drive, Powell, Ohio
Dates: October 14-15, 2022, October 21-22, 2022, October 28-29, 2022
8. Explore the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Fall is a great time to visit the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium. The weather isn’t too hot or too cold, so a walk around our fantastic zoo will be a delight. You’ll quickly learn why the Columbus Zoo is one of the area’s most popular attractions.
There are lots of special events happening, too. Here is just some of what you’ll find at the Columbus Zoo this fall:
- Rwandan Fete: September 17, 2022
- Fall Quiet Hours: October 9, 2022
- Boo at the Zoo: October 14-16, 21-23, 28-30, 2022
- Slothvasana – Yoga with Sloths: November 5-6, 2022
- Sensory Friendly Light Stroll and Santa Experience: November 15, 2022
- Wildlights Member Night: TBD
- Wildlights: TBD
9. Experience Columbus Fashion Week
Yeah, you read that right. Columbus is actually kinda a big deal when it comes to fashion (too bad it wasn’t really this way back when I was a fashion designer!!) Columbus Fashion Week will take place October 9-15, 2022.
10. Visit a Comedy Club
The Funny Bone Comedy Club, located in Easton Town Center, is a great place to relax on a cool fall evening. Here is what’s coming up at the Funny Bone in the fall of 2022:
- Anthony Rodia: September 2-3, 2022
- Leah & Andrew Rudick: September 4, 2022
- Lewberger: September 7, 2022
- Marlon Wayans: September 15-17, 2022
- Kyle Dunnigan: September 21, 2022
- Big Jay Oakerson: September 23-24, 2022
- Ashley Gavin: September 28, 2022
- Corey Holcomb: September 30-October 1, 2022
- Rocky Dale Davis: October 2, 2022
- Ben Brainard: October 5, 2022
- Ryan Long: October 6, 2022
- David Koechner: October 7-8, 2022
- The Office Trivia Show: October 8, 2022
- Andrew Woodhull: October 9, 2022
- And Then We Had Sex Podcast: October 18, 2022
- Carolanne Miljavac: October 23, 2022
- I Feel Funny! With Funny Gal Sal: October 24, 2022
- Cindy Kaza: October 27, 2022
- Dusty Slay: November 4-5, 2022
- Rich Guzzi: November 8, 2022
- D.L. Hughley: November 11-13, 2022
- Noel Miller: November 18-19, 2022
- Jason Banks: November 25-27, 2022
Looking to get away for the day? Check out these great day trips from Columbus — all within a 2-hour drive!
Curious about what to do in Columbus this week? Here are some of the best fall festivals and events in Columbus in 2022.
Greek Festival | September 2-5, 2022 | Goodale Blvd at High St.
Columbus Caribbean Festival | September 3-4, 2022 | Franklin County Fairgrounds
Upper Arlington Labor Day Arts Festival | September 5, 2022 | Northam Park
Old Hillardfest Art & Street Fair | September 10, 2022 | Downtown Hilliard on Main Street
Columbus Oktoberfest | September 9-11, 2022 | Ohio Expo Center/Ohio State Fairgrounds
Columbus Dispatch Fall Home and Garden Show | September 9-11, 2022 | Ohio Expo Center
Hot Times Community Unity | September 9-11, 2022 | 51 Douglass Street
North Market Wine Fest at Bridge Park | September 16-17, 2022 | 6750 Longshore Street, Dublin
Rwandan Fete |Septmeber 17, 2022 | Columbus Zoo
Creekside Hops and Vines Festival | September 17, 2022 | Creekside Plaza in Gahanna
Festival For Good | September 24, 2022 | Grandview Ave. in Columbus
Columbus Coffee Festival | September 24-25, 2022 | Ohio Village at the Ohio History Connection
Columbus Fall Brew Fest | October 1, 2022 | Huntington Park
Ohio Gourd Show and Festival | October 7-9, 2022 | Delaware County Fairgrounds
Columbus Italian Festival | October 7-9, 2022 | 168 E. Lincoln Street, Columbus
The Great Westerville Pumpkin Glow | October 20-26, 2022 | Heritage Park
Highball Halloween | October 22, 2022 | Short North Arts District
Ohio Made Holiday Market | November 18-19, 2022 | Hollywood Casino
If you’re visiting Columbus another time of year, check out my detailed activity and festival guides: