How To Earn And Use IHG Points
Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) includes over 5,000 properties in almost 100 countries within 12 different brands. While many of their properties lean towards budget travel, there are also some high end hotels in their portfolio. This is a popular hotel chain among points and miles enthusiasts because of promotions like PointBreaks (where select hotels rooms are only 5,000 points a night) and the free night that comes with the co-branded credit card! In this post, I will show you how to earn and use IHG Points.
Earn IHG Points Through Hotel Stays
Each time you stay at any IHG hotel you will earn IHG Rewards Club Points. The points earned will vary based on hotel brand.
Earn IHG Points Through Your Credit Card
- 60,000 IHG points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- 5,ooo IHG points after adding an authorized user who makes a purchase in the first 3 months
- Free night each year after account anniversary that can be used at any IHG hotel
- 5x points per dollar at IHG hotels
- 2x points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- 1x points on all other purchases
- $49 annual fee is waived the first year
- Bonus is only available if you do not have this card and haven’t received a new card member bonus in the previous 24 months
Other Ways To Earn IHG Points
- Earn 1,500 IHG points when you book your Hertz car rental through IHG
- Earn 500 IHG points for declining housekeeping at select hotels
- Buy IHG points…don’t do this unless you have a specific redemption in mind as it’s generally not a good deal
- Sign up with the IHG dining program and earn points every time you dine at a select restaurants with your registered credit card.
- Transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards at a 1:1 ratio
How To Use Your IHG Points
- Use Points for Free Nights with no blackout dates. Points per night needed for a free night vary by hotel and start at 10,000 points per night.
- PointsBreaks hotels are offered at select times of the year. This promotion allows you to book select hotels for only 5,000 points per night!
- Cash + Points: This is a great option if you want to stretch your points or don’t have enough for a redemption. When searching for a hotel room, choose “Reward Nights” as your rate preference to see the Cash + Points options.
- Bad Ways To Use Your Points: Points can be used for gift cards, shopping online or they can be transferred to airlines but these usually have terrible redemption rates so you won’t get the most out of your hard earned points.
What Are Your IHG Points Worth?
Point valuations can vary based on who you talk to and how they determine the value of a point. I’m a firm believer in the fact that everyone has the best way to use points for them and that can effect the “value” of the point. However, with that said, I still like to know generally what my points are worth and I try to get the best redemption I can. Sometimes that doesn’t happen and that’s ok – if your points can help you to travel more then they are doing their job.
IHG Points are loosely valued around .7 cents per point. I follow The Points Guy’s Monthly Valuations as a guideline to know what my points are worth. In the above photo, you can see a room at the Holiday Inn Resort: Orlando Lake Buena Vista costs $130.66 per night or 35,000 IHG Points. If you were to redeem points for this room you would only be getting a .3 cents per point value – an awful redemption!
Stay In The Know
I hope this guide showed you how to earn and use IHG Points! To keep up to date with tips and tricks on how to use points and miles for FREE and discounted travel subscribe to our updates. Don’t worry – I like to keep my email to a minimum too…no daily emails here, just a couple a month to keep you in the know!
PIN IT FOR LATER